Sunday, September 6, 2009

A sweet Sunday...

It's been a long time since I had a sweet Sunday, but today I got one. I slept in for a very long time, got cute, went to a church and heard some wonderful things, had a sweet voicemail from a sweet friend, then came to my parents house and ate some amazing Challah French toast...mmmm. What will the rest of the day hold?
The church I went to today shocked me. I went because I knew it would be "safe", I wouldn't be challenged, but it wouldn't be bad either. I didn't go because I thought it would be fabulous or meaty and not because I think I will join.
First of all, it's doing that whole 'Let's be culturally relevant' thing. You know, the churches where the pastors wear jeans or other "cool" pants with un-tucked oxford shirts on? They are soooo edgy! I don't like that-the translation is usually a rumpled mess of, let me roll out of bed and show up to church with my breakfast and a yucky outfit on. After all, God takes me as I am, so I don't even need to pretend like I care. I am soooo not into that. And seriously, a Hawaiian shirt on the platform...no one takes you seriously with that on! I think you should dress like you care about church and dress like you respect this time set aside to worship God.
I digress. The sermon was great and such a blessing. It was from Luke 5 about Jesus getting into Simon's boat and telling him to cast his nets again. It was such a wonderful encouragement to me. Simon had worked and toiled all night long and got nothing. Then, after he had cleaned up and mended his nets, after his provision did NOT come, Jesus told him to try again. Not just try again, but to put out into the deep. I love his answer to Jesus, "Master, we toiled all night and took nothing! But at your word I will let down the nets." I love the angst and the honesty in his answer....and then, obedience. The pastor really hit home how disappointed and fatigued Simon (as well as the other fishermen who ended up helping Simon take in the fish) must have been. They physically worked all night long, most likely calling out to God for help. This was their provision, their life they were fishing for and they got nothing. Jesus spoke (and with their obedience) everything changed. There were several points to this sermon, but not surprisingly, the one that stuck out to me was persevering through disappointment and fatigue. So here I am, working hard with no visible return, crying out to God, but getting nothing...but I will choose to persevere. For God's glory, not mine. I'm so glad I didn't stay in bed this morning and I'm so glad I went to the "safe" church. Thank you, Lord.

No comments: