Wednesday, August 19, 2009

A glimpse of Ghana

One of the things I've been doing lately is reading people's blogs. I don't really know any of these people, but I'm drawn to blogs about Ghana. However, I usually find that the people who are writing these blogs have some demeaning and not very nice things to say about Ghana- as if being a Westerner in and of itself makes them superior. They love to throw around phrases like 'third world country' and say Africa when what they mean is Ghana. So I'm going to tell you about the Ghana I know.
Let me start by saying that I love Ghana but am in no way blinded by love when it comes to the truth of Ghana. I have experienced many things there and it's not all good. I have been mugged in Ghana; I have been discriminated against; I have been sick and been to clinics in Ghana; I have taught in their public school system; I have used their public transportation; I have shopped in their markets; I have relied on their water and electricity; I have spent time in the homes of Ghanaians, rich and poor; I have lived in a tiny village, a big city and the in-between; I have worked in orphanages and more.
Now to get my two pet peeves out of the way. The first is using the word Africa when talking about a specific country, like Ghana. I don't say North America when I'm talking about Texas...that's just plain silly! Africa is a continent, not a country. The second is that terrible classification....3rd world. I understand why these classifications came about. But they seriously flopped. When people hear or say 3rd world, it's not typically to classify the socioeconomic and or political status of a nation. When they say this there is usually an awful, 'we first worlders are better' twist. Or the horrible connotation that people in 3rd world countries are lesser in various ways (well duh, first, second, third...they are last) or that they are dumb and uncivilized. These things are not true. I much prefer terms like developing or emerging country.
I have seen some hard things in Ghana, but I have also seen amazing things and met wonderful people! One of the things that stands out about Ghanaians in general is their joy. They have so little in comparison to an American, but they are full of joy. In this, they have reminded me again and again what is important in life and from where our joy should come. They also have very strong family and community values, something that is lacking in my culture-Ghanaians take good care of one another!
I have learned so much from the people I have met and lived with and I am so thankful that I was able to do so. One of the things I love and admire is the women of Ghana. They are incredible and so strong. It is not unusual for a woman in Ghana to be raising children (her own and possibly nieces/nephews), taking care of the home, farming and having some sort of business or job that brings money in. I once saw a woman who had a baby on her back, a big pregnant belly, a toddler holding her hand and a bowl full of fruit on her head. The fruit stood 3-4 feet tall! She had cultivated it and was taking it to the market to sell. She was the picture of strength and elegance...there are women like her all over the country. Another time, I was climbing a mountain in Ghana and quite exhausted already. (Before I had gone to Ghana, I was in my fancy American gym working out at least 5 days a week...it did nothing to prepare me.) Before I knew it, I was being passed by barefoot, machete wielding women, singing, and with bowls on their heads! They had farms up the mountain and were going to work...joyfully. They are the type of women who laugh at things to come.
Life is very different in Ghana, but not as different as you might think. I don't know what makes people think the American way is better or devoid of the problems and corruption that other countries experience. That's not true, it just looks different over here.
I'm sure this begs the question, "If Ghana is so great, why go to all the trouble to get George here?" We are not getting George over here because we hate Ghana or because we think it's a horrible place. We are getting him over here so that he can meet my family and know this part of my life; so we have the freedom to go back and forth and ultimately, so we can make the kind of money that can help his family and allow us (and our future children) to know and live in both countries and both cultures. We love Ghana!

2 comments:

Ellen said...

Amen sister!

Obibini Bruni said...

Your intro here is exactly how I feel and I appreciate what you have to say in the rest of the post.

Third world and similar classifications exist for specific reasons. The problem is that people use them without understanding the true meanings. It is important to know who coined a term and why (not necessarily to remember it, but to understand how you are using it) and that is why I dislike using these terms. I have yet to find a classification that works for me, so I just avoid using them when I can ...anyways, third world is outdated and no longer relevant.
http://obibinibruni.org/