Sunday, November 22, 2009

Love my church!

I had become a church hater earlier this year. I am so thankful that that has changed! I've been going to a new church and I LOVE IT! The people are real, the sermons are applicable and the church is having an amazing impact on the community.
Today two things especially stood out to me. The first is the "Thanksgiving Back" push the church has. We were asked to bring specific food items to make Thanksgiving baskets for people who could not afford a Thanksgiving dinner (as well as donation for the benevolence ministry throughout the year). The food donations were amazing! Gorgeous, FULL baskets were made for families, with good food that they will actually eat (not a basket full of spicy hominy or all the other crap people clean out of their pantries). There was tons of food! It was so great to be a part of that!
The other thing that was great today were the baptisms. I love baptisms. What I especially loved today were the number of children who were baptised. There were several kids who got saved around age five, their faith is real and people are taking them seriously. In the past (ahem, my last church) when people have asked about my salvation story, I have shared that I came to Christ as a child. The response was usually some tacky, jerky thing like this, "Oh really? Well, when did you actually get saved??" I won't go into how I feel about those people. What I will say is, seeing how these children were received into the body of Christ made me feel like I truly will fit as well. I'm thankful for this new church!

1 comment:

She thinks too hard! said...

Me, too, dear! It was a good day for sure.