Saturday, March 2, 2013

My Boy

We are up and running again! Hopefully this computer sticks around a little bit longer.

I kind of enjoyed not having the tug of the world wide web. That, plus several other factors have made for some changes around here.

Makafui has gotten very, very busy lately! I was exhausted long before G came home each day and didn't feel like I was really giving him the stimulation he needed, I was just pooped way before he was. Also, my sister's birth and leaving M for 6 hours really helped me to see that he is growing up and we can both handle some time apart from one another.

So I decided to put him in full time daycare. Just kidding. I know people who think that's the answer for busy little boys who need structure and stimulation. I don't think that's best for him, so I tried to figure out what was.

I did lots of research and looking around and landed on a few things. We joined the Y and I can already tell that it is very good for both of us! M gets about an hour of interaction with other kids and adults and gets to play with a bunch of different toys. I get to workout and recharge so that I have the physical, mental and spiritual endurance to be the mom I want to be. After we get our separate time, we try to go to the family pool together. It's a very good thing and I am totally loving this small part of blossoming independence. We're shooting for 3-5 times a week. I also went to the library and got books about activities for toddlers and busy baby, healthy brain type stuff. Can we say Type A?

Back to that blossoming independence thing. I think Makafui may have sprouted early and we are going through the terrible twos...that, or he is the most strong willed child I have ever met. For the most part, we have very good, happy times together, because I'm fun and he's doing fun stuff. But when Mommy is not quite so fun and we are not doing fun stuff, there are the tantrums, which is a whole other ballgame. I'm stumped since our communication and the options for discipline that he can understand at his age are so limited, most things just cause further frustration and/or we are not home when it happens, so I can't put him in his room. I got Bringing Up Boys and whenever I have the chance I pour over it. Makafui is a full throttle BOY! I love that about him and I know God is going to use it for great things. I also know that it is my responsibility to help him know how to steer all of that boy energy and strength, he can't just be wild because God made him that way. Don't get me wrong, he is a super sweet little boy, and I know I am really sensitive about negative behavior, but he's not quite 13 months old and I feel out of my league already! I am already loving the book and understanding better how boys/men are so different (you would think I knew this already!). I am also hoping there are some practical tips for me. I know each Christian family needs to find the right flavor of parenting within Biblical standards, but a little help would be nice too. ;)

We have also managed to have some good ol' fashioned fun together! Today we went to San Antonio and had a blast. Makafui really seemed to enjoy the zoo and the people watching on the riverwalk. In the petting zoo, I tried to show M how to gently pet the animals on their backs-instead, he did it his own way, stepping on a pig's snout, grabbing a goat by the horn and generally going at the face. Nice one.







LOVE RHINOS!!!
 








 
Our meal was a bit of a bust because M just didn't want to sit and eat. He kept us laughing with his toddlerhood though. At one point, he was so desperate for queso that he plunked his cup in the bowl (impressive hand-eye coordination) and licked the goodness off of it. I couldn't help but laugh and just let him enjoy! We had fun together and were so blessed to have a reliable car to get us there and back with no worries.

1 comment:

Kristen said...

looks like you guys had a blast in SA! love his baby sunglasses, he is one hip little guy.
i think the Y is a great idea! annie was so much that way and i remember worrying that it was mostly my fault and that if i didn't get her under control now she would grow up to be a horrible human being, but mostly i think it was just that her age and personality were a really bad combo. so anyways, you are a GREAT mom! meltdowns aren't your fault, he'll grow out of it!!