Thursday, December 17, 2009

How to be a good dad...

My dad is pretty great. We don't have heart-to-hearts very often, because he always makes me cry. He makes me cry because he says (and almost always validates) the things I am suppressing, in order that I won't cry. But sometimes, it has to be done. Yesterday, was one of those times. My dad is in the trenches with me, he doesn't understand this crap either and he believes in George and Me and knows we have a wonderful future ahead. Good to hear, but lots of tears were included.
He has been great at trying to distract me and keep me busy during this terrible time of waiting and hoping. It's usually something simple, like going to a cool mall and getting some treat. Last night topped it though. My parents don't have a TV. They used to, but what started as a 'we spend entirely too much money on entertainment and watch too much' type of thing, morphed into 'we don't need a TV at all'...this is being reconsidered. Anyway, it's hard to watch mind numbing, time passing things, when you have to look it up on Fancast and watch it alone on a laptop. So my dad did something about this. He mysteriously left and returned with a borrowed TV from my bro (who has a few extras), movie treats, The Muppet Christmas Carol and a cheeseburger Happy Meal for dinner. While obviously nothing will actually make George not being here better, this did help. The movie choice was great; we have outlawed It's A Wonderful Life this year. I used to love it, but the crappier and more depressing my life gets the more challenging my life gets, the harder it is to watch that movie. So not this year, not when I'm right there on that bridge with George Bailey. I'll take Gonzo instead, thank you. I'm glad I have a dad who gets it. Maybe Elf will be on the agenda tonight.

2 comments:

She thinks too hard! said...

Oh, my sweet girl! What a joy you are...even in the midst of this horrible place. Your Daddy is pretty awesome, too. This truly will be over soon and then we can watch the other Christmas movies!!

Kristen said...

what a sweet dad! i'm glad you have family around to love on you through all this crap.