Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Everybody needs an Ellen.

I have a really great friend, her name is Ellen. Ellen and I met in the Heathrow airport almost 3 years ago on our way to Ghana to volunteer. I never would have imagined that I would be blessed with such an amazing friend.
We were roommates for a couple of months in Ghana and experienced many new and sometimes hard things together. At times we were the only Christian volunteers and the only ones from THE South. We laughed and grew and challenged one another and cried our eyes out when it was time to part. She is also one of my few friends who actually knows George and that is so special to me.
Our friendship continued when were back in the states-she in South Carolina and me, in Texas. She loves my family and my family loves her, we would adopt her if we could.
Ellen has taught me so much and been so supportive through everything. There is so much to say about Ellen, but I'll condense. She ALWAYS tells me how strong I am, especially when I feel the opposite. She is honest and loving, but never makes me feel bad. She knows when to call me and make sure I'm not isolating myself from the world, and when to give me space. She can make me laugh and is quick to call or text something funny-this is vitally important to my well being. Ellen is always on my side. I hope I can be a friend like her and I am so, so thankful for her! I think everybody needs an "Ellen" in their life.
Ellen may flip out about this picture, because it is not flattering (AT ALL) for either of us, but I die laughing every time I see it. We were being awesome by taking newbies to a traditional chop house and eating real Ghanaian food. The pic was snapped as someone announced that they found tongue too big and intestines too small for the meat we were supposedly eating. Hahahaha!! How I love Ghana...

No comments: