Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Conversations at Target

I may have mentioned a time or two that no matter what I do or where we go, Makafui needs to nurse while we're out. Today, that happened at Target. I stood over to the side near guest services while G checked out. A little boy (way too old not to know better, maybe 10?) left his pregnant mother and much younger brother and came up to me. We had the following conversation...
Boy: Is that a baby under that blanket?
Me: Yes, it is. (In a nice, chipper, proud voice)
B: Can I see it?
M: No, you can't. (Still nice voice, hoping this ends the convo)
B: Why not?
M: Becuase he's eating. (Still nice, but a little annoyed)
B: Oh, he's eating water, right?
M: Uhhhh, no. (Weirded out, neutral voice)
B: Then what is he eating?
M: He's eating breast milk.
B: So you don't want to show me becuase it's coming from a machine, right?
M: No, it's not coming from a machine. (Really?!)
B: Then why don't you show me?
M: Becuase it's private, go ask your mom. (Not nice anymore)
B: Ohhhhh! I know! You would be embarrassed....becuase it's like a cow!
M: Yep. Exactly like a cow.
So. Weird. How do kids not know about breast feeding? Better, how do they NOT know you don't walk up to a stranger, talk about her boobs in a round about way and then call her a cow?
And here is the cuteness for the day:

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Bop, I would have made him go away. I have a way with being mean sometimes. Sometimes on purpose and sometimes on accident.