Tuesday, October 19, 2010

That other thing...

More great things happened this weekend, but I wasn't quite ready to blog about it. I am now...
On Wednesday, I got an e-mail requesting an interview at a local baby store. I had applied for the job quite a while ago and was shocked that they asked for an interview. I didn't really want to go, especially considering all the drama that had happened with changing jobs just a week or so prior. G and my mom encouraged me to go and just see what happens....
Well, I'm glad I did. I knocked that interview out of the park! The position was for a CSR, but about mid interview the owner and his associate revealed that the company would be doubling in 2011 and planned on adding nursery design to the business. They saw design on my resume and asked how good I thought I would be at putting nurseries together. My response, "Pshh! AWESOME!!" Oh how professional, Bethany.
Anyway, my wheels really started turning...a design career is my DREAM!! And nurseries? Even better! Once I calmed down enough to think, my big bro and I formulated a plan. After the standard thank you, I would be sending the company my portfolio. I got pictures of some of my past work and made two mock-ups of nurseries I would design with the company's current offerings. Wow...it was a bigger job than I realized. Since the design boards needed to completely speak for themselves, I had to be pretty detailed. I was pumped...until I was finished. Then, I started second guessing myself and my skills. Also, I don't know how many of my readers have submitted unsolicited portfolios or work you have done for critique, but it's tough, I felt somehow naked!
Yesterday, my courier (a.k.a. my Dad) delivered my portfolio....and today, less than 24 hours after he got the portfolio, the owner offered me the job! I am so, so, so excited and so thankful for God for this opportunity!! I took it, obviously! I won't start designing immediately, but I'm fine with that. I get to learn the company and work into the design/store side in the new year. I am SOOOOOO pumped!!!
Telling my current boss was not fun, as I have been deeply connected to her family for the last two plus years and didn't want to hurt anyone. She was very understanding, but sad. I know this is the right step though, and I know that the family I've been with all this time will be okay without me. I'm looking forward to the future and enjoying the now.

4 comments:

Kristen said...

bethany!! that is amazing!!! i am so excited for you!! what a totally fun job! perfect.

Sassafrass said...

I'm so excited for you! Go is good!

Tiffany said...

That's fantastic! How exciting!!! Congrats!

Nana said...

yipppeee, yippeee, yipee, yiyay! I am so, so excited for you. I know you will love learning the basics of your company and then being 'unleashed' to use your creative side. Have lots of fun as you work hard!