Thursday, October 28, 2010

He's Got My Back...

On Tuesday, the 2 year old was at MDO, so I went on a long walk with the baby. I intended to go to the "big park" with her, which is about a mile away. While I was on my walk, my mom called me (one of my favorite things). It was windy and the connection was kind of bad, so I stopped for our 13 minute conversation...I really wanted to hear what she was talking about. While we were talking, I saw a few Police cars, but didn't think anything of it (I work in uber suburbia). When I hung up, I kept walking. As I continued towards the "big park" I noticed another police car and a car with a shattered window and windshield...as I walked across the glass on the pavement I assumed highschool vandals were responsible, but changed my route nonetheless....
Meanwhile/earlier that morning a man killed his wife and put her in his car. He then crashed his car into a tree (right next to the sidewalk on the way to the "big park"). A passerby stopped to render aid and the man shot at him-shattering his driver window and windshield. Then the murderer got out of his car and fled on foot. He was eventually caught and arrested, but was on the run for a while.
When I went on my walk, I was worried about a huge list of small things. I was just talking to God and worrying, worrying, worrying. I was not however, worried about crossing paths with killer on the run-not even on my radar! It was on God's though. Who knows what would've happened had it not been for the 13 minute call and bad connection? It is quite possible that I would have been the passerby, right in the middle of the gun toting action.
It's funny how easy it is to fret about tomorrow and about all those tiny things we are aware of. Funny how easy it is to believe God doesn't care about those things or isn't listening to our prayers. The thing is though, He's got our backs all the time and we don't even realize it! I realized this time because the story made it to the news. What a great reminder to me that God really is in control and He really does have good things in store for me. Thanks, God.

2 comments:

Mama B said...

I always love our talks, but even more so now. So clad you and Coco are safe!

Sassafrass said...

So glad y'all are safe!