Thursday, October 21, 2010

Bye Bye Nanny!

I've been a nanny, for several different families for a while now. It's mostly been great-but it's definitely time to move on (though I must admit, it will be a little sad to finally say goodbye). I'm excited for the future and looking forward to really wanting kids again. Until then, I will file away some of what I have learned as a nanny and will hopefully one day apply it as a mommy.
I have learned...
  • Every parent thinks their kid is the best/cutest/brightest. That's ridiculous. Mine really will be though. Seriously.
  • Kids are sponges, if Daddy says things like Dick-Mite, child will repeat.
  • Pithy comments to toddlers are not understood, somehow that's okay, because it makes me feel better.
  • My vocabulary changed immensely when kids were my world, NO, GROSS and POOP as well as AWWW, SWEET and CUTE became the new "it" phrases.
  • I will spank. I will sooooo spank. This whole time-out and "I mean it" thing don't really work. Thankfully, Proverbs has got my back on this one.
  • Video monitors are AMAZING! I WILL have one!
  • Poop. I didn't realize how important poop becomes and how often you have to talk about it!
  • Children know when their parents think they are a bother or don't have time for them. They may express it (i.e. act out) in different ways, but they know it. I never want my kids to feel that way.
  • Kids are hilarious, I want to write down all the funny stuff my kids do and say.
  • Kids in America have WAAAAYYYY too many toys! I plan to donate/put toys away for later regularly.
  • Potty training is not fun...for anyone.
  • Sleep training on the other hand, I've got that!
  • People don't use car seats properly. I didn't realize how many people fit in that category 'til I was a nanny. Strap those seats and those kids in TIGHT!!
  • Children don't need schedules as much as they need routine. When I first became a nanny I was a super-scheduler (like, we had a 5 minute window). No longer! Routine is better for everyone.
  • I don't know what it is, but if there's a gross bodily fluid that could make it onto me or my clothing, it happens...at least when they're mine, I can change.
  • Cool mist humidifiers are my friend.
  • Sand brings a level of anxiety I didn't realize. It gets everywhere! Also, I'm always afraid when kids pick up a clump of sand and pinch it, that the sand will come off and reveal something nasty. Maybe I won't let my kids play in public sand areas.
  • I will have an awesome stroller...bye-bye ghetto rider!
  • Watching a sweet baby, in footie pajamas sleep, undoes all their rotten of the day...that's why kids go to bed before the parents.
  • I am in control of how picky a kid is about food.
  • Authority doesn't equal big, mean and loud. I'm glad my hubby already knows that and that our kids won't have to endure that.
  • Kids need to see their parents be in love, it changes a lot of things. I'm glad I grew up that way, I'm sad a lot of kids don't.
  • Bath time is wonderful, so so wonderful.
  • Using words other than "no" so a kid doesn't say "no" all the time doesn't work. They still somehow pick that up!
  • Raising kids is HARD! It's worth it, but HARD! I hope I have great and supportive mommy friends when it's my turn.
  • Kids grow up so fast....I really want to treasure every moment when they are my own. It just goes by so fast.
  • That poop thing, again.
I wonder what else I will learn in the next two weeks...

4 comments:

Mama B said...

Oh, my sweet girl! I laughed until I cried! Thank you! I know you did this for me. You are gonna be a wonderful mommy and I cannot wait to watch! I love you!

Sister Beta said...

And one more thing! Babies, toddlers, kids (I would assume teenagers and so on...) can roll/crawl/walk/run/fly away from you whenever they want...but don't you dare think of even leaving the room for a second without them! I may have discovered the secret of motherhood...maybe.

Kristen said...

i can't wait for you guys to have kids!! you'll be a great mom and it sounds like george will be a great dad too!

Anonymous said...

Just found your blog. I'm from Ghana too and I enjoyed reading your love story. God Bless.