Tuesday, March 10, 2009

I have my computer, but not the wireless connection that I’m supposed to. Oh well, I will write anyway and even if I have to post these when I return to Texas, I will post.
Ghana is amazing. I wish I could bring my family here right now. I love being here and being with George, it feels so normal. I’m getting used to having my heart in two continents. Even when George is with me in the States, we will still have friends and family here; this will still be the place we met and fell in love and the calm, slower pace of life will still beckon to us. I used to think that was a bad thing, to love and long for a place where you can’t be. But it’s more than that. It’s just a different life, a different people. I think missing Ghana will help George and I be better Christians, family members and neighbors. The things we will miss are mostly intangibles that we can bring back with us. The communal way of living, the ability to enjoy small and simple things like just being with friends and family and not having to be constantly occupied by things.
One of my favorite Ghanaian proverbs is, “The bed does not look for trouble.” . People teach their children that from a very young age and it simply means that if you don’t have a task to do, go lay on your bed, it will keep you out of trouble. Cute, huh? Just simple. That, and sometimes it’s too hot to want to do anything but lay still!

No comments: