Sunday, September 30, 2012

Thoughts from a half marathon

So many things go through your mind when you're hoofin' it through the mud for 13.1 miles.

  • A mile takes SOOOOO much longer when you are walking up hill, in the mud, while it is pouring down rain, being careful not to have a sharp rock puncture through your shoe or step in cactus-all the while being mindful of snakes and possible bow hunters, than it does on the street. Lame.
  • CLIF bars are magic. Like when Mario gets a mushroom and then he goes super fast. They do wear off though.
  • I have always hated Gatorade, I discovered that I like the blue kind just a little bit though.
  • Life can be so much like a trail run. You have to be careful where you step and who you follow. You also have to find the perfect balance between keeping your eyes on just what's in front of you and looking up to see a few or several steps ahead.
  • My mom is awesome.
  • My mom is hilarious.
  • Having a baby who doesn't sleep through the night gives you amazing energy. I didn't truly realize how many "second winds" I get throughout the day until it was tested.
  • My husband is great.
  • Having people cheer you on really is helpful. We didn't have any of that.
  • I love accomplishing things.
  • Life can be like a trail run in other ways too. You can train and train and get into good habits and be as ready as possible, but still get stuck in the mud. Mud is hard to walk in, it's slippery and makes your body hurt and every single step takes more energy. Life gets muddy sometimes too and there's nothing you can do about it but trudge on.
  • I secretly hated the guy who won the half marathon. It was sick how quickly he finished. Sick.
  • I like to sing made up songs to energize and encourage people around me.
  • I relieved myself in the bushes at about mile 10.
  • My tight workout pants were wet (from rain) and after I relieved myself I heard someone coming. My pants would not come up! I ran while yanking at them and laughing like a crazy woman. It was the funniest thing that has happened to me in a while.
  • We discussed the art in the Louvre around mile 9. I could not for the life of me figure out how to say Samothrace. I kept trying to figure out, Winged Victory of...Thermothace, Sermotha? My brain was all whacked out and it was driving me insane. It's Samothrace!!
  • I'd be willing to do a flat half. You know, on a paved surface.
  • I'm not sure my mom will ever do something adventurous with me again.
  • I need to get the biggest ol' 13.1 sticker they make. Then I need to add, Trail Run, IN THE RAIN, More Mud Than You've Ever Seen Before to it.
  • Why am I not skinnier than this? Seriously.
  • It was a good thing we had waterproof mascara on.

3 comments:

Mama B said...

It's a good thing I put on my waterproof mascara again today because I am laughing all over again! Glad you learned how to tee tee in the bushes. Never know when you might need that skill! I will go on adventures with you, maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow, but maybe tomorrow!

Sue Anne McKinney said...

You are both hilarious! Glad you did it together!

Kristen said...

i love it. you guys are awesome.