Sunday, September 16, 2012

This Is The Life

Do you ever take a snap shot of your life and file it away as a significant time or memory?

I totally do and was reflecting over that this week. One quiet night as I sat and rocked Makafui, I thought back to a day teaching in Hohoe, Ghana.

I can remember the breezy skirt I had on, my long hair tied up, the leather flip flops I seemed to never take off and my white feet-a stark contrast to the reddish brown dirt floor of my classroom. I was trying to teach the concept of multiplication, rather than just memorization. I was totally on a roll and thought my students were beginning to grasp what I was teaching. I started to hear a few giggles, then more and more as I wrote on the board. I turned around and was shocked to see the cutest little fluffy goat hopping around. The classroom (including me) erupted in laughter! I stood back as some of my students tried to catch the goat and get it back outside. It was wonderfully chaotic. As I surveyed the classroom, I took a snap shot to file away and I thought to myself, this is the life. Not because it was fun and adventurous and I was making a difference, but because I was exactly where I was supposed to be.

As I remembered that day, I looked down at my sweet boy. I tried to memorize his cheeks, which have filled out to a fabulous chubby, his soft curly hair, his precious paw of a little hand holding on tight to me and the total peace he has. I took a snap shot and felt the exact same way I felt those years ago in Ghana, this is the life. Not because it is fun and adventurous and I'm making a difference, but because I am exactly where I'm supposed to be.

Life doesn't always work that way. In fact, the in-between can be excruciating. But for now, I have the peace and confidence of knowing that this is what I was made to do right here and now.

This is the life.



3 comments:

Mama B said...

It sure is "the life" and we are so very glad we get to share so much of it with you.

Aubrey Hansen said...

I know exactly how you feel, both snapshots are priceless.

Sue Anne McKinney said...

And a beautiful one it is!