Monday, August 27, 2012

Just What I Needed

Since M went off of Prilosec, then back on with a bigger dose, we haven't been having a great time at night (maybe that's not the reason, but that's when it started). It's been a few weeks now and there still hasn't been much improvement. This stumps me...a lot!

Anyway, I had been begging God to give me some wisdom about this whole thing. I was specifically hoping for wisdom in the form of what exactly I should do to get my baby to sleep. I didn't quite get that.

I was studying the other day and these verses stood out to me.

For thus says the Lord: “Behold, I will extend peace to her like a river, and the glory of the nations like an overflowing stream; and you shall nurse, you shall be carried upon her hip, and bounced upon her knees. As one whom his mother comforts, so I will comfort you you shall be comforted in Jerusalem. Isaiah 66:12-13

But we were gentle among you, like a nursing mother taking care of her own children. So, being affectionately desirous of you, we were ready to share with you not only the gospel of God but also our own selves, because you had become very dear to us. 1 Thessalonians 2:7-8

I realized that the Bible talks a lot about relationships and how they should work. There is instruction for wives and husbands, friendships, slaves and masters, employers and employees, and more. I can't recall anywhere that tells a mother that she needs to or how to love and comfort her baby (or get that baby to sleep!). That love and care is just assumed.

I've really been mulling over these things, especially 'as one whom his mother comforts, so I will comfort you' and 'we were gentle among you, like a nursing mother taking care of her own children.'

I feel like God just gave me a nudge, a gentle reminder that this is just how it is and there is nothing wrong with it. I happened to get a wakeful baby, but I'm doing exactly what a mother is supposed to do.

To top it off, when I was at Target the other day, three people/groups stopped me to comment on how much Makafui and I obviously love each other. It was another sweet piece of encouragement.

I asked God for wisdom, expecting an answer to my "problem", but instead, I got wisdom revealing that it's not a problem at all. Thanks, God.

1 comment:

Mama B said...

So precious, sweet girl. Isn't our God just like that?! You are a very good Mama.