Thursday, May 31, 2012

Family and some Psycho-babble

So maybe it was the packed weekend, or maybe it's just because he's 3 1/2 months old, but Tuesday was rough...and that night was too. (But please don't hear that as a complaint about my precious dude, just an observation. This is parenting, it's not about me or my sleep and it won't be for a loooong time!)

Even though I know I'm doing the right thing with my sweet Makafui, I still kind of search to see if there are any magic answers out there, hope that this is almost over....or something! :)

I stumbled across an article in Psychology Today about the dangers and history of "crying it out" as opposed to comforting your baby as needed. It was very, very interesting! The part that stood out to me the most was when the CIO notions in America really started (and answered my question as to why my African friends and family don't ask if M is sleeping through the night or what methods or schedule we are using). It was in the early 20th century when families started splitting up and living far from one another. A couple would raise their child without the benefit of mothers and grandmothers around. In turn, they listened to peers and "experts" of the time who didn't really know anything. Parenting became about the parent, rather than about the child and the family as a whole. Older, wiser women were no longer part of the picture to encourage, to share wisdom and experience and to give a helping hand. The result was a new era of parenting that has raised some very interesting adults (I won't get into all of that stuff though).

This article got me to thinking about a million different aspects of parenting and why we parent the way we do and what we want as a result of our parenting. It may have confirmed my husband's belief that I think too much, but oh well. There are too many things to write about and probably only 3 of you readers even care. :) The big thing it got me thinking about was this culture we live in. A culture that says, "I don't need you, especially old(er) people, I've got this figured out...I hold the answers, even if it takes the Internet to find them" There's a whole lot of pride and isolation in that. How blessed I am that God allowed me to live near my Mama and to be able to soak up some of her wisdom. She gave me this sweet reminder for my very first Mother's Day...



How wonderful and how true is that? It's hanging in my kitchen, so I see it all the time! I am thankful for family who is a part of the 'village' helping us raise Makafui and I wish Ghana weren't 6,000 miles away! I'm also praying in friends for us who can come along side and join this journey, and that we can do the same in return.

And now for some pictures of my sweet! He's getting pretty good at helping with the laundry...




And he's getting really good and grabbing toys and putting them in his mouth. I am just loving being his Mama and watching him grow and develop!



**As always, this opinions on this blog are just that-my opinions. And as always they are not shared with the intention to hurt or judge anyone. If you don't like what you read, you don't have to read it.**

No comments: