Monday, September 27, 2010

I've Got The Power!

(Yep, you can say it like the song.)
Friday was a very hard and discouraging day for my man...and a little bit for me. Something big that we had been hoping, praying and preparing for didn't happen and it was another blow to his/our spirit, pride and waning hope.
I was bummed...super bummed, until I came to the realization shared in my previous post. I hate using overly churchy or Sunday School terms, but God was really speaking to me about my heart, hope and attitude. Once I got those things in order, I realized the great power I have. Power to turn this day around, power to encourage my husband, power to choose to trust in my God.
I was supposed to get off early on Friday, but (surprise!) I didn't. Instead of letting it piss me off and bringing that negativity home, I used the extra time to think about how I would build my husband up when I finally got there.
After work, I stopped by the store and got 2 of George's favorite treats. Then, I went home with a huge smile on my face and open arms. I listened and listened to my sweet man, validated his feelings, filled his tummy and then spoke. I shared with him how God had been speaking to me and where our hope should be. I told him how happy and blessed I am to have him here with me, regardless of his job situation. I told him providing is not ALL about paying bills and encouraged him that God really does have a plan for us.
Then, we got out. He had been in the house all day and needed a change of scenery. We had a great evening and as we went to bed he declared, "This has been a great day!" Funny, the change that happened around 6:00pm.
I don't share this to say how awesome I am, but to encourage others. You have the power too. Power in your home, work place and relationships. It's easier sometimes to be grumpy or to whine, but it's better to have a contagious joy...it can completely turn around a bad day.

You make known to me the path of life; in your presence there is fullness of joy; at your right hand are pleasures forevermore. Psalm 16:11

Some trust in chariots and some in horses, but we trust in the name of the LORD our God.They are brought to their knees and fall, but we rise up and stand firm. Psalm 20:7
Still waiting and believing....

2 comments:

Claire said...

Thank you Bethany, I've been struggling too...I'm praising God with you! ;)

Sassafrass said...

You're so right... Its something I've been working on too, I have realized that by deciding to have a good day then I will. I have to make up my mind about it!