Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Staycation!

I have the week off so G and I are taking advantage of the staycation to rest, get things done and search for jobs like there's no tomorrow!
Yesterday was great! I stayed in bed til 10! We watched the World Cup matches (Japan...who knew!?) and worked on something very important. We went to the DPS and George got his driving permit! This is a HUGE step towards being independent and truly assimilating to this culture. It's close to impossible to function where we live without a car and license. I am very proud of him and we've already started driving lessons! We celebrated with a great lunch and window shopping and just loved being together and having time off. We even looked at a Morkie puppy-no, we're not getting one, but they are SO CUTE!
Today has been good, but a little bit harder. We've really pounded the pavement. I took G to every retail place in a short driving distance from us and he asked over and over and over again if they were hiring. Most places weren't hiring, a few were, and several said to apply online. Ugh. I was so proud of him, but my heart sank (and I may have cried) at the thought of him working at Target. It's not that Target is a terrible place or that people who work there are sub-par or anything like that. I just wanted more for him. He hasn't struggled and pushed himself and made sacrifices for 28 years to work for minimum wage at a super store. I feel like the American Dream has kicked us in the face...not that I even really believe in the American Dream.
I'm just being a baby. Some days are full of hope and some have none at all. We know that we are to rely on God for our provision, and we are. At the same time we aren't naive enough to think that God owes us awesome jobs or that His provision equals ease. Things will be okay...they always are, we just don't know what "okay" will look like-that's the kind of scary part. I'm very thankful that we are together through this though...very, very thankful!
So while we wait, and search and worry just a little, I'm going to enjoy my staycation with the hubs. Here's to staying up late and watching The Fattest Man In The World....

No comments: