Monday, June 28, 2010

God keeps me on my toes...

Things were beginning to settle down and look like some sort of normal. Well, we just can't handle that, so George and I are making some changes to keep life interesting! I kid....kind of.
Things really were starting to settle down and we were getting very comfortable in our little life in our fabulous apartment. I should have known that couldn't last for long!
We've been talking a lot about jobs for both of us and what our future may look like. George is pretty desperate-he needs to be working! I'm not desperate yet, but as the bacon bringer, I could become desperate very quickly. In the midst of these discussions about what steps we should take for a positive future, our apartment informed us that our rent would be going up...a lot. They wouldn't tell us how much is was going up because they wanted to see what they could do about it. While we waited for three days to hear the verdict, we started to contemplate moving....and we started to look around. After much thought, prayer, research and discussion, we have made a decision: WE'RE MOVING!!
This is a great step in the right direction and we know it's the right thing. However, on the selfish side, there are a few things I'm just a little bit sad to lose. Since this is my blog, I'll share them... I L-O-V-E our apartment! It was my first place all on my own and OUR first place together- there's just something sweet about that! I love my 10' ceilings; I love the HUGE crown mouldings; I love the designer lighting and ceramic tile; I love the big living room, I love the closet space; I love, love, love the gigantic garden tub!! Those are the things I'm really going to miss! The new place is by no means a dump! It's actually a newer complex, but it is a little smaller and not quite as luxurious. We have just been very, very blessed with this apartment!
For every one thing I'm going to miss, there are two or three good things about the new place. Location was the biggest factor in moving. The new place has dozens of places within SAFE walking or biking distance where George (or I) could work- that's HUGE! The new place is right around the corner from my parents-sweet!-we love them and it's nice to know we have transportation or other help so close by. It's closer to a major highway so if we were to commute to future jobs, it will take less time and won't require expensive tolls- again, HUGE! It's in the neighborhood where we eventually want to buy a house, so it's a nice "test drive" before we own (Ha! That is, if we ever get jobs that would allow to buy a house!). I love that it's in a neighborhood, we live off of a highway right now, so if we want to take a walk, we have to drive to get to a suitable place! We were also able to sign for 17 months...that's a huge level of stability that I think we really need right now.
I'm really proud of my man that he took this decision so seriously and that he is willing to make huge adjustments to be the man he wants to be and to provide for our family. I can imagine how difficult it would be to give up the one place that is truly familiar in a new country. I'm just so blessed by him...he's very selfless- for the present and the future!
We're excited about the future and the possibilities this move opens up. We feel like God is really moving us in this direction and hoping for some other big changes to go along with the housing change! While we wait for our lease to end (August) we're searching like crazy for jobs in the new 'hood....and, when I've searched until I can search no more...I get to sketch out how we will decorate the new place. :)

No comments: