Wednesday, May 27, 2009

What's the worst that could happen?

Today I called the NVC. Remember, I had to wait 8 weeks to do this-supposedly people hear something in that amount of time and they don't want people to bother them too much. I wasn't going to call until the official 8 weeks (yep, I'm a rule follower) but George talked to the embassy in Ghana today (finally!) and they said they don't have his paperwork. So I decided to call a day early and figure out what was going on. I always like to think of the worst case scenario when things look bad so I can prepare myself and put things into perspective. I couldn't come up with a worst case for my call today but given the information we had, I didn't think it would be too bad and I didn't think anything would make me cry. I was wrong on both accounts.
The short of it is that George's paperwork is not lost and we are not getting an interview soon. All interviews for the month of June are taken. We will find out in a few weeks if he was lucky enough to get an interview in July, if not, it will be even later. To understand better, keep reading.
Remember back in the day when TV shows and movies often poked fun at bi-national couples getting married and their immigration and green card process? They often referred to INS. Well, INS no longer exists and we now have USCIS and the NVC. In the switch there has been much confusion and a mix of old policies and new policies and often both sides are giving different information. Throw in more confusion and extra policies every time an international terrorist thinks of doing anything to the USA and that's about what we're dealing with. That's why we thought our paperwork was lost in the first place. We were told on some form that after our case was approved, it would be sent to the correct embassy and get an interview as soon as possible. The truth is that the paperwork stays with the NVC and the second week of each month interviews are scheduled for the following month. Once an interview is scheduled, then the paperwork goes to the correct embassy. The other thing we have been told is that both of us will be notified when he gets an interview, as well as, only he will be notified. I was too emotional to get clarification while on the phone today, so we'll see what happens. The second week of June will be the third round for George to get on the interview roster, hopefully the last.
So what's next? Thankfully the phone lines allowed George and I to speak for a long time after all this mess to figure it out. We will keep waiting. I'm moving on Saturday as planned and will continue to pray my butt off. As for George, since we know he won't be leaving at any moment, he is going to try and find work for the meantime. He is also going to see if he has any connections who could assist in getting him an interview in July.
Please, please pray! This is such a difficult and sad time for us being apart. Please pray that we will rest in God and have patience and peace (this is a very hard one for me!). Please pray that George will get an interview in July (sooner would be great, but I'm not getting my hopes up). Pray that he would find work soon. Pray for the eventual interview, that once we have one everything will go smoothly. Also, typically the deeper into summer we get the higher airfare is. So pray that when the time comes his ticket won't be too high.
Thank you for your support and hopefully there will be a positive update soon.

No comments: