Sunday, August 24, 2014

Ramblings from a 2nd Time Mommy

The boys have gone to church, Baby Girl is sleeping and I should be too, but I know she will wake up any second, so I'm just staring at her...and thinking...and blogging.

Today is her due date...and she's 5 days old! That's so awesome.

I am still in total shock and disbelief at how wonderful her birth and recovery has gone. I feel great! I don't think I felt like this until more than a month after Makafui was born!

I laughed unpacking my hospital bag at all the things I thought I needed, in preparation for a long labor. I brought a swimsuit top so I could labor in the tub. Ha! Pages and pages of hand written birth affirmations to help me stay focused and positive. Ha! Breath mints. Last thing on my mind! Stress relieving massage oil....um, I guess I forgot I don't want people to touch me when I'm in pain. Double ha! There were a few more funny things, but those were my fave.

Immediately after Makafui was born, and for many, many, many months after I was convinced he would be an only child and I would NEVER, EVER go through that again. About 24 hours after she was born, I thought, "Yeah, I could totally do that again." Cray cray, I know.

I am LOVING this stage of life and being a young mom to young kids. I LOVE having a crazy 2 1/2 year old and I LOVE having a newborn. I know I've only been doing it for a few days, but I am just savoring this piece of time, not wishing any of it away.

She is itty bitty! I love how she is just a sweet little bundle-SO much smaller than M was! She still likes to be balled up-like she was in the womb. So precious.

It's still weird to me to do things and realize, the last time I did this I was pregnant, and now I have this awesome kid!

I miss being pregnant juuuuuust a little bit, but I love having her here way more! I hadn't gotten to that miserable point in pregnancy yet, so it ended kind of suddenly.

I am a lot more relaxed this time. I'm not writing down when she eats or nervously watching her diapers or freaking out if she goes 3 hours between feedings one time and only 20 minutes the next. It's been good for all of us taking the more chilled out road.

I wondered how I would feel about a 2nd baby compared to my first. I wondered if things would seem "old hat" or if my love for one child would be greater than the other. It's true what everyone says, your love just multiplies! The only major different thing is that I'm not new at this and not a stress ball. I still study her like I did with my first. I still soak in her smell and watch closely for those sleepy smiles. I still thank God for her and sit in awe at the perfection He has given us. She is still new and wonderful, even though it isn't the first time.

She is such a girl! Everything about her is dainty in comparison to her big brother. She has little ladylike hands and fingernails, whereas his have always been paws! Her yawns and stretches and sleepy noises are just more feminine.

There is something about her face and eyes that just light up with joy. I know that sounds a little silly because newborns are just newborns. But she isn't. Her eyes just light up like she has a secret or something.

I'm  pretty sure G will go back to work tomorrow. I am slightly, just slightly nervous for my first day with both kids alone. I'm sure we will do fine and having appropriate expectations is a must, but that's a looong day!

I am just so impressed by Makafui! He is so loving to his sister and he seems to genuinely care for her and like her! He gets a little crazy in the afternoon, but it's more stir crazy since we aren't doing the normal things we used to do, rather than an acting out kind of crazy.

I know tomorrow could be the complete opposite of these wonderful days we have been having, and that's okay too. Life is just sweet right now and I am just so so blessed and overwhelmed by God's graciousness to us!

1 comment:

Sue Anne McKinney said...

A beautiful post and a beautiful baby!!! Can't wait to meet her.