Monday, July 8, 2013

The Zoo of my Mind

My sister, our kiddos (a.k.a. Coffee & Cake) & I headed out to the Austin Zoo last week. Let me tell you, that is one random place!! It's more of a sanctuary for pets that should never be pets & some farm animals. It was a tad cray-cray, not stroller friendly at all, had lots of bees & definitely leaned toward ghettotastic. Fun, huh?

What's more random than Ghetto Zoo are the various things goin on in my life & mind.

Wednesday was definitely an off day at our house...on many levels. Highlights include Makafui biting & popping the Get Well balloon for my Dad before we even got it to the car. Funny. Makafui soaking the couch with his new water gun because Mommy didn't think he could figure out the trigger & went to make a snack. Stupid. Makafui LOBBING a glass onto the tile floor for no apparent reason. Infuriating. Makafui telling Mommy "Oh. My. Dosh." After his very long time out. Hilarious. Child free Tex-Mex date to wash away this day. Perfect.

I miss traveling. I hope we can travel as a family one day.

We had started to make strides in potty training, then M picked up a little tummy bug so I switched back to diapers for that!! I hope we can pick up where we left off...it's a good thing I planned to take this slowly. Today, we are back in undies!!

Conspicuous service has been on my mind a lot lately. I've been seeing a lot of it & I'm really struggling with how to deal with it as a mom. I want to raise Makafui to love & serve others, regardless of their financial status, ethnicity or whether there is anyone (or a camera!) to see them. I don't ever want him to see people as "projects".

I sure do love my family.

I'm usually pretty good at getting the laundry done. Not last week. I had to re-rinse then re-wash the SAME load this week because I kept forgetting to move it. Duuuuuuuh!

H-E-B at 6am is the bomb! I may have mentioned this before, but it is so true! Much more peaceful than in the afternoon.

I had no idea how many bigoted "friends" I had until this Paula Deen thing came up. Thanks Facebook, for revealing that.

I think racism is still so alive/prevalent because it's tolerated. I applaud the companies who have said they won't stand by PD after this.

Not to be a stress-ball-freakazoid or anything, but we have this marshy area behind our building & it just screams mosquito breeding ground! I'm way nervous about West Nile but don't want to make the porch off limits.

I'm a wee bit obsessed with avocados right now.

How sad and scary is this plane crash? Those poor people. :(

It's less than TWO WEEKS until my baby brother gets married!! I'm very excited and working on a "quiet bag" for Makafui...hope it works. No one but me seems to be concerned about his noise or activity level. Ha!

I'm not saying I'm ready to jump ship or anything (thought some days I might be) but there have been a lot of 'rocks' hitting my 'windshield' in regards to our current church. I'm learning what role church should really play in our lives, and I think it's smaller, rather than larger.

The other night G and M were playing while I put away laundry and Makafui was absolutely hysterical with laughter. I just had to watch them play for a while and thought, "Thanks, God for this WONDERFUL blessing!" I'm so glad we said yes to God and cannot imagine what life would be like without our crazy awesome little boy.

Yesterday Makafui turned 17 months old!! Whoa! Where have the last few months gone?

My big brother surprised us all and came in for the 4th. It was great having him here!! Makafui loved playing with him and has been asking for "DJON!" I love it!

Hopefully we can make a trip to Houston/Galveston to visit DJON and E around Labor Day. We shall see....

We had a pretty big disappointment this week. I'm reminding myself that God sees around the corner and we do not, that He knows what's best for us, and we do not. That waiting on Him is hard, but never wrong.

After a very timid start, Makafui is loving the pool! He asks to go "mimming" anytime he sees a body of water. :) I am having a blast with him and getting a tan...well, a tan for me!

Today we discovered the Fire Station near us does equipment checks on Monday mornings. Ohhhhhh my!! I pulled over and took M out to watch them play with their new Ladder Truck! It was pretty awesome and M got a cute little red fire hat. Boys are so fun!

1 comment:

Kristen said...

the austin zoo is GHETTO!! haha. the kids don't know that though. and you're so right! boys are fun! and my boy doesn't even do "boy stuff" yet. i'm sorry you got disappointing news this week,yuck. and this is horrible, but i'm so glad that M didn't beat meg to potty training because that just wouldn't have been fair. i'm totally pulling for him now though :)