Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Deactivated

Today, I deactivated my Facebook account.

I was getting annoyed by Facebook. I was annoyed by the all the martyrs complaining about their wonderful lives. I was annoyed by all the drama. I was annoyed by the overwhelming amount of passive aggression between people I don't even know. I was annoyed by the debates begun in status updates. I was annoyed by the ridiculous selfies. I was annoyed by people who post pious crap and are jerks in real life.

What pushed me over the edge was this ongoing debate over abortion.

A friend (who I haven't been in touch with for a while but very much care for) posted her pro-choice view and it crushed me. Crushed me to know this person I love thinks it should be okay to kill a baby. That she would not fight for a life, just like Makafui's was not very long ago. That she believes a child's value is only based on whether or not their mother cares to keep them. That this is about women's rights, rather than the rights of humans who cannot speak for themselves.

I am a lot more hurt by this than I thought I would be. It's not that I don't have friends who think differently than me or have different political and social views. I do. It's that I was so shocked to find out this friend feels that way.

I don't wanna keep finding out sad things about people I love. I don't want to feel differently about people because they "like" this or that cause.

I also don't want to feel attacked every time I log on to see cute pictures or play a silly game.

I'm done.


I'm going to go hug my sweet boy now, he is not just precious in my sight, but in His as well.

2 comments:

Mama B said...

Sweet baby girl. I so get it and am right there with you. I don't think we, any of us, are better for Facebook. Let's keep talking the way we do but I love the photos and essays on your blog. Please don't stop that.

Your Mama, in whose sight you are precious!

Tiffany said...

I'm so sorry! :(
I would feel the same way.
(I only have like 20 friends and I hide a lot of posts. LOL)