Tuesday, October 23, 2012

To Spook or not to Spook...

Halloween is coming up and we've had lots of people ask us what Makafui is going to be.

Um.....nothing? Well, a cute curly haired baby, of course!

I didn't think we'd have to even have an opinion on Halloween so early, but it has come up a lot!

I didn't grow up "doing" Halloween. We didn't trick-or-treat, we didn't decorate with scary stuff, we didn't watch Halloween movies. The first real Halloween party I went to was as an adult! We did go to trunk-or-treat church things and did harvest and fall type stuff. Sure there were a few times I wanted to do what the other kids were doing, but all in all, it really didn't bother me, I still got candy.

George is coming from a totally different place. A place where witchcraft (or juju) and evil are very real and very present. A place where people who love God run from that evil and don't play with it. It's not funny and it's not a cute holiday.

I totally agree.

So why, since we're in America and we make the evil and witchcraft more cute and mainstream is it okay?

I guess it's not.

I went around and around about this for a few reasons. One, babies and kids in costume are SO CUTE! Two, I don't want Makafui (and any other future children) to feel like because we love Jesus, we can't have any fun. And three, because of the backlash from other Christians/church people who do participate in Halloween.

Here's the deal, he can still wear a costume. In October or any other month of the year, they're cute! And of course we won't do scary.

Secondly, there is a difference between "not having any fun" and conforming to the things of the world. Christians should be different, we should be set apart. And, we can still enjoy in a non-scary, non witchcraft way with cute church festivals and harvest stuff.

And the backlash, well I may just be over that. We all have different convictions, different ways to raise our families. Some of them are just that, different, but sometimes it's not that simple, sometimes not all choices are equal. If people have a problem with my way and feel the need to voice it, it usually betrays a sense of guilt on their part. This is our way. It's not the first time we're gonna stand out and it certainly won't be the last.

So the decision has been made. No spook here.

1 comment:

Mama B said...

Well said, my dear. And baby costumes are cute. I'm very glad you didn't feel deprived in the fun department.