Friday, May 7, 2010

Water

As you know, I am a nanny. As you probably also know, I live and work in Central TX where it's been in the mid 90s this week and a bit humid...it's not even summer yet. It's now officially too hot for our afternoon walk to the park and play time. The kids' cheeks are red by the time we get there and the playscape is too hot to play on. I'm not taking them to the pool either because the 7 month old doesn't like the cold water and the 2 year old has no fear. I'm getting to the point...
In comes the shaded back porch and a five gallon bucket. I filled the bucket most of the way with water and got some cups and smaller buckets (a tip from my own rockin' mom). The little guy played happily for TWO HOURS!! He just poured the water back and forth, named his buckets (after the important men in his life-himself, Daddy and Pa-Puck) and had a blast. Baby sister enjoyed watching him have fun.
It hit me while I was watching him how easy it was for me to supply him with gallons of water-just. for. play. I walked a few feet and turned on a tap, knowing water would come out, because it always does. It didn't matter if the water got in his mouth, because it was clean. On top of that, it's cheap enough that he can simply play with it. What a tremendous blessing. A blessing that is easy to forget and easy to take for granted. Thank God for clean, affordable water that is oh so easily accessible!

2 comments:

Kristen said...

good idea. i've been searching for a water table for annie on craigslist, but a bucket sounds much cheaper.

Obibini Bruni said...

You’re right. Many places in the world are suffering from drought, while others experience an abundance of water. Even those not in drought are in many places lacking access to clean drinkable water. What most do not realize, however, is that water is a system and so how we treat our water in one place affects the water in another place; water is no longer renewable.
http://obibinibruni.org/