Friday, May 10, 2013

Ridiculously Easy Pulled Pork

We got to bring a meal to the recently expanded Gohean family this week, so I decided to make BBQ pulled pork. It's insanely easy, delicious, kid friendly, makes a lot and is pretty affordable. Kristen, as well as everyone else who eats it wants the recipe, so here it is!

3-4 lbs. pork*
1 bottle of your fave BBQ sauce
2-3 cans cheap root beer

Toss your pork, with all the fat on into a crock-pot, pour root beer over, crank it up to high and leave it alone for 4 hours or so. Once the meat is falling apart tender, pour off the liquid, saving a cup or so. Put the pork on a cutting board and pull it apart with two forks (this is where you toss out the fatty stuff). Toss it all back in the crock-pot, pour your BBQ sauce over and add back any of the saved cooking liquid as needed. Let it warm or cook on low for another 20 min to however long it takes for dinner time. Suuuuper easy, huh? I usually double this and have people over, bring it to someone, or freeze half of it. We like to make sliders using Hawaiian rolls.

*For the pork, I stay away from large pork shoulders like are traditionally used. They take longer to cook, shred into really long pieces and it's just a harder piece of meat to deal with once it's cooked. I also feel like there's a lot of waste with the big bone. I buy the value packs of pork at H-E-B that are basically the end pieces, I can almost always find a pack with big boneless chops and maybe some loin. I always look for bone free, with some fat for flavor. It cooks way faster, pulls apart faster and is better sized for kids to eat and for making sliders. It's usually about $1.60ish/lb.

Also, I've seasoned the meat up really well, tossed large onions pieces in, etc. but it doesn't make a noticeable difference, so now I skip it.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

Kristen said...

yay!! thank you! jeff just asked me this morning if i had gotten the recipe from you yet. it really was SO good. I ended up eating the left overs for lunch everyday this week. also, annie and i have been fighting over what's left of the ice cream you brought.
i am such a wuss when it comes to buying/preparing/cooking meat, but its one of my goals this year to get better at it. this family needs more protein!