Saturday, April 13, 2013

How Does That Make You Feeeeeel?

Last Sunday at church, a guy I had never seen before went up on the platform to tell us about a seminar this Saturday. The moment he got up there I thought to myself, you can never trust a man with hair like that. I listened anyway though and he went on to say that he was a Psycho Therapist and would be sharing counseling and relationship tips over breakfast.

I don't trust Psycho Therapy.

However, I have this prickly person in my life who may or may not have a personality disorder. So I decided to go with an open mind and hope that I might glean something that could help me better cope with said prickly person. My mom went too...for the same reason.

It wasn't good from the start. First off, this is just kind of a whim of a second career for Mr. Hair. There was no talk of calling or anything, it just happened...almost accidentally. I wasn't impressed, but tried to keep my open mind.

Then he started talking technique. He's all about this come along side and live in the pain and trouble with someone (for him, in an artificial 50 minute a week friendship sort of way). He liked to say things like, "I see that makes you very upset" And other stereotypical type things.

I was trying to figure out where Jesus came in since we were at church and all.

I asked, "At what point, when you have a real relationship with someone do you actually call them out on sin?"

His response, "I don't." As a Psycho Therapist, he could lose his license for doing so, so professionally, he never does.

He lost all credibility to me right there and I felt like he was a total sell out. (After the fact, I realized he never professed to be a believer, someone else told me he was, so maybe he wasn't a sell out after all)

Then he kinda went on to say that each person is the best judge of that but to really hold out on calling out sin and wade through and "struggle forward" with someone for a long time first.

Then a pastor chimed in that ministry and relationships are messy...I think to back up Mr. Hair and his opinion, but I'm not really sure.

By this time we hadn't heard anything that utilized the Bible or prayer, talked about God, the Holy Spirit or Jesus and sin was pretty much brushed off. My mom and I were done at that point.

I'm obviously not sure how the rest of the seminar went since I left, but I'm not gonna lie, the morning left me feeling very nervous about the church we've been going to and what the future may hold.

So here's the moral, when your instincts tell you not to trust that guy with that hair, listen.

1 comment:

Mama B said...

Well said. At least it prompted us to review what God's word says about sin and caring for others. And, as always, I enjoyed the time with you.