Thursday, April 14, 2011

A piece of me died...

So, I have a new "manager" at my job. He thinks we should wear uniforms. Excuse me, he doesn't call them uniforms, he just calls them polos. I think that is a terrible idea! I protested the uniforms....I seriously protested them. I voiced my opinion immediately, then I sent an e-mail to make sure the message got across.
I explained that one of the selling points of my company was casual dress (I dress up actually, so freedom of dress is a better term). I got on a soap box with a microphone and stood up for the individuality of our company. I went on and on about how we are NOT Babies R Us or Target, but we are fresh, modern, different. I told him that NO ONE would drop 10 Grand on a nursery from a designer with a yucky polo on. I said really, my designer clothes are much better, they say, SPEND! I also pointed out that the green polos are simply ugly and it's stupid that we have PAY for them.
I was right, I was soooo right! Unfortunately, manager won...sort of. Once we are selling enough nurseries to support me being the full time nursery person, I get to phase in my own clothes.
Until then? Ugly polo.
This crushed me. I like to wear nice clothes, preferably designer. I like my clothes to be neat and tidy, to fit well, to be colorful and feminine! Great shoes are important too. I felt like my individuality was taken away. Whaa whaaa.
I must admit, I ranted and raved about these shirts. I have rolled my eyes or said something not exactly nice about these shirts since the moment I learned we had to wear them. I may have even been a wee bit dramatic about the whole thing.
Alas, the shirts are here. I brought my two shirts home today and thought, "Okay Bethany, these may not be so bad after all...let's give it a try!" I'm pretty good at pep talks like that. So I put it on and much to my surprise...
IT. IS. TERRIBLE!!!!!!!
I am not even joking. It wasn't better than I expected, it was worse!!!
See for yourself, below is as it should be worn- jeans (khakis are allowed as well) polo shirt and sensible shoes...
[picture removed]
Gag me!! First, I look like a BOY. Second, I look like I've gained at least 15 pounds. Third, NO ONE will trust someone who looks like that to design a nursery...especially pricey ones!! Can I get an Amen?!
So, I tried to amp it up a little. I started by switching to BR cropped chinos. Still terrible. I then put on Kate Spade sandals...even Kate Spade couldn't salvage this outfit. I added my new, blingy Michael Kors watch (thanks, honey!). Nope, still terrible. Then I amped it up even more-HUGE rhinestone ring, HUGE "pearl" and rhinestone necklace, rhinestone chandelier earrings, AND a blingy bracelet. I also unbuttoned all of the buttons. Nope, still terrible.

[picture removed]

A smile and a pose didn't help either. A piece of me has died. This. Is. Yucky.

[picture removed]

I think Sewphia is coming out for some alterations...as if that will help. Side note-it photographs WAY better than it looks in person!

4 comments:

Sue Anne McKinney said...

You are so funny! You look so cute anyway you slice it, but I do like the one with the chinos, the pearls AND the smile! :)

Mama B said...

I am soooo sorry, sweet girl. I am praying that nursery design work is just through the roof and you don't have to wear this for long. I agree with Sue Anne, though, you always look so nice.

Kristen said...

hahaha! oh no! that totally sucks. i think you're rocking it though in that last version.
if i ever have thousands of dollars to spend on a nursery i would def come spend it with you!

Mithun said...

Oh... No... Thats right.... You felt it like your persona is taken away. Trust me, you are not bad in it and you are good looking as always. You proved that you cant never look bad in anything. :) . But promise me that you never appear again in this blog in that polo.. We just cant see you without that lovely designer dresses..