Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Deep Thoughts from Board Books

There's this book called The Runaway Bunny.

It's about a bunny who [for no real reason] wants to run away. His mama tells him she will come after him because he is her little bunny. The story continues that the little bunny will turn into a fish in a trout stream, but his mama will be a fisherman and catch him, it goes on and on, he keeps turning into something else to run away and his mama catches/finds/goes to him each time. In the end, he decides not to run away and her response is, "Have a carrot."

I used to read it as a nanny and it really bugged me. I thought the little bunny was just a brat.

Now that I am a mom, and now that I have walked some dark roads and maybe wanted to run away a few times, I truly love this book. I just HAD to have it-so I went out and bought it the other day and have started regularly reading it to Makafui.

The bunny is not a brat. The Mama has some crazy love and patience for him. She will not let her boy just run away. She will be there. She will climb the mountain, she will become the wind, she will be the tree he comes home to.

That is how I fiercely love my boy.

But more than I can possibly imagine, that is how God fiercely loves us. Each day as I get deeper into this hard and wonderful parenting thing I realize that, and it's like, whoa!

I don't know what's around the corner, but God does, and as He fiercely loves me, He will be there for me, step by step.

And He will give me a carrot, too.