Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Didn't see that one coming!

Today was the day....and we don't have an answer.
I'll try not to be too cynical here, but there really aren't words to express my disgust with this whole process or the people we have been dealing with. On the flip side, there also aren't words to express how amazing George is, he's handling all of this so well while maintaining excellent grades and a good attitude. Yay George!
George went to the consulate compound in Accra today and had a very long interview. However, his passport size photos weren't quite what they wanted so he had to fix that first. He was taken to a specific passport picture place by a consulate security guard and payed through the nose to get pictures that looked VERY similar to what he already had (this is not the first time this has happened and is quite suspicious to me!).
Once that was finished he actually had his interview. To quote George, the woman who interviewed him was "younger than you [Bethany]", she was "disturbing me [George]" and "made me [George] very hot [irritated]". George had to convince her to read my letter-which she didn't, and basically argued with her the whole time about who he was and who I am. In the end, she didn't say yes and she didn't say no. She wants a school transcript and a letter from the UNHCR about his past internship with them. So he will return next week on Monday, Tuesday or Thursday. Hopefully she'll actually see him.
George has already spoken to the UNHCR and they will get him his letter quickly. The University of Cape Coast however, is quite another issue! They have been nothing but difficult and S-L-O-W!! So my prayer is that they would be nice for once and have a sense of urgency (I know, obviously the prayers of a Westerner, but the consulate's not going to wait!) So please be in prayer with me. Lord willing, next week we will have some real news!

No comments: